History of BSQ
BreastScreen Queensland opened its doors in 1991 after Australian Health Ministers agreed there was a need for quality breast cancer screening services nationally.
This followed a two year evaluation of breast cancer screening in Australia which resulted in the Australian Institute of Health report "Breast Cancer Screening in Australia: Future Directions".
The report became the blueprint for the establishment of a National Program for the Early Detection of Breast Cancer, now known as BreastScreen Australia. Queensland Health, through an agreement with the Commonwealth Government, then established a free statewide breast cancer screening program now known as BreastScreen Queensland.
25 years of service
In 2016 BreastScreen Queensland celebrated 25 successful years of service. During that time, we have performed more than 4.7 million screening mammograms and detected more than 19,000 breast cancers.
- First State in Australia to transition of all its Services to digital mammography technology.
- First public breast cancer screening service in Australia (operated out of the Royal Women's Hospital in 1985).
- Client register system created in 1994.
- New appointment online booking system introduced in 2016
- BreastScreen Queensland celebrated 25 successful years of service in 2016
- 1991 Royal Women's hospital, Gold Coast, Townsville
- 1992 Rockhampton, mobiles in Townsville and Toowoomba
- 1993 Brisbane Southside, Sunshine Coast
- 1994 Cairns
- 1995 Bundaberg, mobile for Rockhampton
- 1996 Mackay, relocatables, Southport, Bundaberg
- 1997 Ipswich, Townsville, Brisbane North, Brisbane Southside moved to new dedicated facility at QEII
- 1995-2001 Satellites at Redlands, West Burleigh, Redcliffe, Caboolture, Inala, Logan, Coorparoo and Caloundra
- 2002 Wynnum
- 2004 Hervey Bay
- 2005 Keperra
- 2006 Noosaville
- 2007 Gympie
- 2008 – 2009 Satellites at Kippa-Ring, Caboolture and Helensvale shopping centres.
- 2010 Five new digital mobiles and a world-first four wheel drive breast cancer screening service deployed to Far North Qld. Satellites at Mt Gravatt and North Lakes shopping centres.
- 2011 Satellites at David Jones Rose Clinic and Kirwan
- 2012-2013 Satellites at Browns Plans, Gladstone, Indooroopilly Shopping Centre and Maroochydore
Last reviewed 13 June 2018 Last updated 15 June 2018